The Right of Access to Care
- Inmates must be able to make their medical problems known
- Access to care must be provided for any condition, be it medical, dental or psychological, if the denial of care might result in pain suffering, deterioration or degeneration
The Right to Care That Is Ordered
- Care prescribed by a medical professional must be provided
- Medically prescribed restrictions on work, activity or environmental conditions must be honored
The Right to a Professional Medical Judgment
- Medical staff must be competent to examine inmates to diagnose their illness.
- Medical staff must be able to treat an inmate's problem or to refer the inmate to outside medical sources who can
- Treatment must be provided using equipment designed for medical use
- Treatment must be provided in locations conducive to medical functions
- Treatment must be provided for reasons that are purely medical
- The appropriate number of staff to perform required medical services must be present.