Contraband Arrests at Multiple Facilities
1. On April 6 at Wilcox State Prison, Officer Lashonta Lavant was arrested by the Abbeville Police Department after attempting to bring 4 bundles of tobacco wrapped in electrical tape into the facility.
2. On April 9 at Smith State Prison, visitor Jasmine Porter was arrested by the Glennville Sheriff's Department after she attempted to enter the facility with contraband. Officers detected a strong odor of marijuana when visitor Porter entered the front bunker. Visitor Porter was searched and 0.2 oz of marijuana was discovered on her person.
3. On April 9 at Autry State Prison, visitor Jerri Brantley was arrested by the Mitchell County Sheriff's Department after crossing the facility guard line with contraband. The Canine Unit alerted on visitor Brantley's vehicle and officers found 3 grams of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.
4. On April 10 at Washington State Prison, visitor Samantha Fougere was arrested by the Davisboro Police Department after she was observed passing contraband to an inmate during visitation. Visitor Fougere was searched and 3 balloons filled with marijuana were found on her person.
5. On April 10, the Tattnall County Sheriff’s Department observed and apprehended a suspicious person walking near the fire station at Rogers State Prison. A security check was conducted and led to the detection of a package under the seat of a golf cart inside of the motor maintenance shop. The package was wrapped in black electrical tape and consisted of 2.3 ounces of methamphetamine, 8.1 ounces of marijuana and 7.8 lbs of tobacco. Civilians Kenneth Johnson, Maria Dominguez, and Bryant Munive were arrested and charged for this contraband drop.
The Department of Corrections is committed to identifying and pursuing prosecution of those persons who attempt to introduce contraband into state facilities.