Open Records Request
Georgia’s Open Records Act (ORA), O.C.G.A. §50-18-70, et seq., makes most government records available to the public.
Please submit your Open Records Request to email@example.com.
Common exceptions to ORA in the GDC’s records:
- Offender central office and institutional files (including, but not limited to, disciplinary reports, grievances, housing assignments, inmate telephone system call information and emails, and security classifications);
- Investigations and intelligence information compiled by the Office of Professional Standards;
- Personal information about the GDC’s employees;
- Policies and procedures that could compromise safety and security at a prison or contain information that could be used by an offender or someone else to commit a crime; and
- Offender medical and mental health records (without a HIPAA compliant consent form).
The GDC has three (3) business days to provide an initial response.
Copies of documents (non-medical) are $0.10 each.
The fee for searching for and redacting public records is billed at the hourly pay rate for the lowest paid employee who is qualified to conduct the work.
GDC is partnering with Granicus to implement the Gov QA public records workflow solution. Requesters will be able to submit document requests through the GDC’s Gov QA portal, and responses that are not protected by state or federal law will be visible to the public.