Official website of the State of Georgia Report GDC Criminal Activity Offender Concerns/Questions: 404-656-4661
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How can I volunteer?
- Potential volunteers register for training through facility chaplain. Volunteer applicant will be considered based on maturity, dependability, interest, and background.
2. What are volunteer opportunities?
- Current volunteer opportunities are educators, mentors, life skills, Spanish speaking, AA/NA, religious, parenting, recreation, health, and career development.
3. Why do I have to go through so much training?
- Volunteers hold a serious and responsible position and must be aware of issues that may arise while working with inmate population to ensure the safety of volunteers, staff, and offenders.
4. If I already took the New Volunteer Training, do I have to take it again?
- The New Volunteer Training is only required initially. However, Annual Refresher Training and background check are due each calendar year.
5. Once I complete the training, can I volunteer at another facility?
- Yes. Once a potential volunteer applies, a security background check is conducted and submitted to the facility leadership for review. If the facility approves application, you can volunteer at the facility.
6. Can I volunteer at the same facility a family member is incarcerated?
- No. Volunteers cannot be a family member or a close friend of an offender in the same facility where they volunteer.
7. Do I have to fill out a new application for each facility?
- No. One application is all that is required. Once you receive your state ID it is accepted at any facility IF you have been approved to volunteer at that facility.
8. What is the eligibility criteria?
- To be eligible to volunteer at any Georgia Department of Corrections facility, individuals must meet the following: Eighteen (18) years of age or older; US citizens or legal authorization to be in the country; within the past three (3) years: no adult felony convictions or incarcerations, no outstanding warrants or pending criminal charges, no misdemeanor drug-related convictions, no probation.
9. Can a former GDC employee or contractor volunteer?
- Yes, however former GDC employees and contractors must not have been terminated for cause.
10. Once I complete the volunteer training, am I approved to come into the facility with another volunteer?
- Facility approval is required before a certified volunteer can accompany a non-certified volunteer.
11. What happens if my volunteer identification badge expires?
- If your volunteer identification card has not expired past 90 days, it can be re-issued after a current satisfactory GCIC/NCIC record check and a PREA Form update. If your volunteer identification has expired over 90 days, you will be required to attend the Certified Volunteer Training class again before your volunteer identification can be re-issued.